The Zamorin’s Guruvayurappan College, Kozhikode is one of the oldest institutions inKerala which has been imparting quality education to generations of students since 1877.From the noble beginning as Kerala Vidyashala, intended to provide education to the members of the ruling family, the institution has now grown into a college offering 12 UG and 9 PG courses and 5 research centres to tens of thousands of students, over the past140 years.
The Zamorins were rulers of Kozhikode, one of the prominent medieval port- towns of India. It was an international trade emporium in spices and textiles. The rulers of this kingdom enjoyed much prosperity of its maritime trade links and held considerable political power and authority in Kerala during the middle ages. It was during the Zamorins’ regime; Vasco da Gama made his historic landing at Kappad Beach in Kozhikode in AD 1498. The Rulers of the kingdom organised the great martial arts festival, Mamankam, held once in twelve years. The Kingdom stood for the preservation and development of arts, literature and culture. The annual Pattathanams at the Tali Temple in Kozhikode is evidence of the interest of the Zamorins in fostering knowledge. Scholars were awarded during the
intellectually fought debates in the Pattathanams.
The never-ending interest in fostering learning of all kinds led to the establishment of the Kerala Vidyasala in 1877 when the Zamorin Raja of Kozhikode H.H.Manavikraman Maharaja Bahadur K.C.S.I., F.M.U started an English school to impart English education to the young members of the Zamorin’s family. Over a period of 140 years, it has grown into a leading centre of higher education, which offers twelve UG, nine PG Courses and five research programmes in a variety of disciplines to satisfy the requirements of the academic community in the Malabarregion.
The starting of an English School in June 1877 to impart English education to the young members of the Zamorin’s family marked the beginning of a great educational institution which later played a vital role in shaping the educational and intellectual life of Malabar. The school was started by H.H. Sri.Manavikrama Maharaja Bahadur, K.C.S.I; F.M.U. the Zamorin of Calicut, acting in conjunction with the Senior Rajas of his family and on the advice of Mr.Logan, the then Collector of Malabar.The School began functioning in the Zamorin’s Palace at Tali with Mr. Ceril M. Barrow as Headmaster. The very next year the school was thrown open to Hindu boys of all castes and was given the name “Kerala Vidyasala”. In the same year, the Government of Madras, in recognition of the public spirit of the Zamorin Raja, made a gift of Rs. 1815 to the institution for the purchase of a small library, physical science apparatus and physiological diagrams and models.
In February 1879, the institution was affiliated to the University of Madras as a Second Grade College. In 1900, the name “Kerala Vidyasala” was given up and the institution was renamed the “Zamorin’s College”. The Zamorin himself administered the affairs of the College till 1904. In 1904 the Zamorin constituted a Board of Management. Eleven years later, in 1915 the court of wards took over the Management of the Zamorin’s estate and in the same year the college was thrown open to all pupils irrespective of caste, creed and colour. Subsequent on the court of wards relinquishing the management in 1927, the Zamorin constituted a Board of Management comprising seven members.
In 1927 the Guruvayur Devaswam graciously sanctioned an annual grant Rs: 5000/- for the growing needs of the college. Early in 1951 the H.R.E. Board sanctioned from the Guruvayur Devaswam funds a grant of Rs: One lakh for the maintenance of the college. In the same year a new site “Pokkunnu” covering an area of 92 acres, was bought by the management for the college. In 1952, permission was accorded to divertRs: 5 lakhsfrom the surplus of the Guruvayur Devaswom fundsto the College.
The name of the institution was changed to “The Guruvayurappan College” in graceful recognition of the munificent gift from the Gururvayur Devaswam, with out which it would not have been possible to raise the college to FristGradeStatus.In1955theCollegewasshiftedto the Pokkunnu campus about 8 k.m. east of the Calicut Railway station. The name of the college was again modified as “The Zamorin’s Guruvayurappan College” in the year 1981.
Consequent on the state reorganization in 1956, the college was affiliated to the University of Travancore which became the University of Kerala in 1958. At present the college stands affiliated to the University of Calicut which came into existence in 1968. The present Governing Body of the college is constituted as per the provisions of the Calicut University Act.
The College was again accredited with “A”Grade in 2017 by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council,based on the institution oftheUniversityGrants Commission. based on the recommendations of the duly appointed Peer Team which visited the college on 30th and 31st October 2017 to assess the quality profile, The College scored aCGPAof 3.06 on 7 Point scale valid upto 2022 November 26.
The college has been providing the invaluable gift of quality education to generations of students who have proved their merit as achievers occupying key positions in society. The students and faculty greatly honour and acknowledge the rulers of the Zamorins’ kingdom for positioning this institution on a lofty green hill which is conducive for intellectual advancement along with achievement of high moral values. The efforts of the institution in the field of knowledge production and dissemination have included non-discriminatory practices geared at achieving social justice.